Old January 24th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Frequent service maps...

On 24 Jan 2005 wrote:

I'd propose a slightly different model, in which each London terminal
was given a colour, and the frequent and in-frequent routes serving it
differentiated in some way - either by filled/hollow lines (with perhaps
a different thickness used to differentiate NR from LUL lines); or
hollow/broken lines.

That's what we're heading towards - LU are now differentiating
tube/frequent rail/infrequent rail by solid/heavy hollow/light hollow
lines, and the ON map shows lines coloured by terminus (as does the NR
version of London Connections, more or less); it's only a matter of time
before we have a Grand Unified Map for everything.

I'm not sure about the one colour per terminal, though. LU's maps have the
idea of one colour per line, which i think should be maintained, and i'm
not sure that you can consider all routes which go to the same terminal to
be a single line. The Windsor and Guildford lines, for example, both go to
Waterloo, but really aren't one line. Perhaps different lines serving the
same termini could be distinguished by different hues or shades of the
same base colour? If Waterloo was red, Windsor could be burgundy,
Guildford scarlet, etc. I'm not sure what you'd do about Thameslink
services which go via Blackfriars and London Bridge; either have the line
change colour as it crosses the river, or leave it off the map!

You'd probably need a slight rethink to involve the light rail lines
though.

Yet another kind of line - i'd suggest narrow solid.

You know, it's five years since I made that map on your site, and I find
I'm still obsessing over this stuff. I wonder if I have a syndrome of
some sort.

Lucky you've got a support group, then!

tom

PS Does anyone know who invented popup windows? I'd like to know so that
if i ever meet him, i can BRUTALLY KILL HIM.

--
The MAtrix had evarything in it: guns, a juimping off teh walls, flying guns, a bullet tiem, evil computar machenes, numbers that flew, flying gun bullets in slowar motian, juimping into a gun, dead police men, computar hackeing, Kevin Mitnick, oven trailers, a old womans kitchen, stairs, mature women in clotheing, head spark plugs, mechaanical squids, Japaneseses assasins, tiem traval, volcanos, a monstar, slow time at fastar speed, magic, wizzards, some dirty place, Kung Few, fighting, a lot of mess explodsians EVARYWHERE, and just about anything else yuo can names!