Old January 25th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] jonnelledge@hotmail.com is offline

Default Frequent service maps...

Tom Anderson:
On 24 Jan 2005 wrote:

Tom Anderson:

I'm not sure about the one colour per terminal, though. LU's maps

have
the idea of one colour per line, which i think should be

maintained,
and i'm not sure that you can consider all routes which go to the

same
terminal to be a single line. The Windsor and Guildford lines, for
example, both go to Waterloo, but really aren't one line. Perhaps
different lines serving the same termini could be distinguished by
different hues or shades of the same base colour? If Waterloo was

red,
Windsor could be burgundy, Guildford scarlet, etc. I'm not sure

what
you'd do about Thameslink services which go via Blackfriars and

London
Bridge; either have the line change colour as it crosses the

river, or
leave it off the map!

I don't think every different route needs different colours

Well, it doesn't *need* it, strictly, but i think it'd be more useful.

I'm
not saying every combination of source and destination should have a
unique colour, just that colours should be used to break the routes up
into more than the three or four groups colouring by terminal would

give.

It'd be more than three or four, surely. I count:

-Fenchurch Street
-Liverpool Street (split into via Hackney, via Stratford)
-Kings Cross/Moorgate
-Thameslink
-Euston
-Marylebone
-Paddington
-Heathrow Express
-Waterloo (split into via Putney, via Wimbledon)
-Victoria (split into via Balham, via Brixton perhaps)
-Blackfriars
-Charing Cross/Cannon Street-London Bridge (South Eastern lines -
perhaps split into North Kent and Mid-Kent lines)
-London Bridge (Southern Lines)
-Orbital routes

That's a lot of colours.

Would you really colour the West Anglia and Great Eastern lines the

same,
just because they both run into Liverpool Street? Does that mean we

should
also colour the Central and Hammersmith & City lines the same?

Not at all - see above.

(and there are limits on the number of them you can have,

particularly
given the tube will be included as well).

Hmm. I think there are few enough colours left after the tube lines

that
we're going to have duplication anyway.

You may be right. Thicker or thinner lines, then...?

Jonn