Old January 25th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ashley Brown Ashley Brown is offline

Default Chiltern vs the Central line

Dave Arquati wrote:
One might think that a journey from the outskirts of London into the
centre would be quickest via a fast National Rail operator, like c2c vs
the District line from Upminster into the City.

[snip]

I used to travel from Hayes (Hillingdon) to Imperial College by a bus to
Hayes & Harlington, Thames Trains to Paddington, then Circle round to
Gloucester Road. Not only did this exclude me from student fares at the
time, it also meant travelling into Zone 1 and having to tolerate the
Circle.

About 18 months ago I switched to a bus to Northolt, tube to Notting
Hill Gate and then a 52 or 70 to Imperial (the 70 dropping me off right
outside). Not only did it cut my journey time by 15-30 minutes both
ways, it also means I never enter Zone 1 except by bus, halving the
amount I was paying on travel (as I became eligible for student fares as
well).

I considered the Circle from NHG to GR, but it takes so long that it's
really not worth it, particularly as I'd have to walk from GR and it
costs a lot more.

I've found the Central Line fantastically fast and have had very few
problems with it - frozen brakes on a train on the way to an exam was
probably the most problematic, but I still got there in time!

--
Ashley Brown
Serial Lurker