Old January 25th 05, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.transport
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default OT: Uni, was: Cambrige - London traffic up 75%

Clive D. W. Feather wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 24 Jan 2005:

Correct - that's what the word "grant" means. The governments of the
previous decades had come to this strange conclusion that having
graduates was good for the country. Of course, we didn't have every
piddling little school for over-18s calling itself a "University".

But we *did* have the concept of free, universal education, which has
now been lost. I suppose it will be nursery schools and classes next,
then sixth forms..... until finally all education has to be paid for out
of one's pocket, as well as through taxation.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/