Old January 25th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.transport

Default OT: Uni, was: Cambrige - London traffic up 75%

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In article , Paul Weaver
writes
Vague memory says I paid 80 pounds a term for a bedsit at Trinity,
and I was a few years after you. Grants were something like 1400 for
the year

So, no fees

There were fees, but they were included in the grant payment system and
were therefore normally ignored. The 1400 was net of fees, and was the
maximum if your parents were poor. IIRC, the minimum was 300 - your
parents were expected to fill the gap, and you were in difficulty if
they didn't.

If your parents were better off you got a "reduced fees grant" meaning
that you got no maintenance and paid something towards your fees. If your
parents were even better off you got a minimum grant (UKP50 in my day)
only and paid all your fees.

--
Colin Rosenstiel