Old January 26th 05, 04:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.transport
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default OT: Uni, was: Cambrige - London traffic up 75%

Meldrew of Meldreth wrote:
writes
But we *did* have the concept of free, universal education, which has
now been lost. I suppose it will be nursery schools and classes next,
then sixth forms..... until finally all education has to be paid for out
of one's pocket, as well as through taxation.

Oddly enough, there's much more money in state subsidised nursery care
than ten years ago. All 4 year olds are equally deserving.

At the risk of sounding a bit meldrew-ish I'm not sure 50% of teenagers
are equally deserving of a "university" education.

I'd probably dispute that if I knew what you meant by "deserving"!

But it does wonders for the unemployment statistics. Which is the main
driver.

Just think how many more wonders they could do by replacing the current
system with the Australian system, so that not only rich people can
afford to go to university...