Old January 26th 05, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rich Mallard Rich Mallard is offline

Default Kiley wants road user charging in London

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Front cover of the Standard family today. Bob Kiley spoke to The Times
about his desire to introduce tag-based road user charging across the
whole of London within 4-7 years, way before any nationwide system comes
to fruition.

That would surely lead to a revolt in the outer suburbs, particularly from
local businesses and the councils. And how would it work for people outside
Greater London driving inside the area? Take Bexley and its retail centre
in Bexleyheath - it would take a massive commercial hit if all the retail
spend from Sevenoaks/Dartford/Gravesend were deterred by road charging to
reach it. If I remember rightly, about 20% of retail spend in Bexleyheath
is generated by visitors from the Kent County Council area. The situation
in Bromley must be similar.

To introduce congestion charging for Greater London in isolation, and not
the surrounding area, would be amazingly bad news.

And, I'm tempted say, another example of those who dwell in central London
having responsibility for the entire Greater London area, but seemingly
little understanding of the nature and character of the outer boroughs.