Old February 2nd 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default Farewell to the 36 RMs

Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 2 Feb 2005:

When I was training as a guide I always, if there was time, travelled
around by bus as a way of improving my "feel" for London.

It's surely the only way to get to know a city. We always try to work
out how to use the bus network in any strange city we visit, and then we
feel we know the place! Besides which, you see the "real" people, not
just the tourist guides (sorry, Ian!).

All my colleagues thought I was mad.

One of them once used a 24 to get from Trafalgar Square to Victoria and
came back to our lecture that evening really excited about managing to
do this so easily. (When I casually said to him "Oh the grey and green
one rather than a red one?" [1] he was truly *incredulous* that I could
have known that, too.)

[1] That dates the story, doesn't it?

It does indeed!
--