Old August 11th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Rich Martin Rich is offline

Default Oyster Card - how's it work?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:45:18 +0000 (UTC), "Neil"
wrote:

Supposedly everyone who ever needs to read your card will eventually have a
handheld reader, although I haven't seen one yet. If they can't check your
card then they'll have to take your word for it that it's valid, as it's
hardly your fault that they can't read a ticket their own company has
issued!

On two rides so far on Routemasters with an Oyster card (both 19s) the
conductor has just glanced at it quickly. I think they can ask to see
the little printed record card that comes with the Oyster card and
explains its validity.

So far I haven't seen many other people using them, though I noticed
somebody else with an Oyster card get on a W7 in front of me on
Friday. Maybe we early adopters should have some sort of fraternal
greeting when we meet one another?

Martin