Old February 5th 05, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Station access (was Deptford Railway Station redevelopment)

The Only Living Boy in New Cross wrote:

Michael Bell wrote in message ...

I don't know this station or it's area at all, but one sad feature of
rebuilding suburban railway stations is that they too often allow only ONE
entrance, so as to increase access control and economise on staff and
machinery.

And another is that they never seem to seize the opportunity to
reallocate some space to good, secure, covered cycle parking.

I couldn't agree with you more, Michael; this sort of thing really
does annoy me too. One of the worst offenders would have to be
Hanwell Station; last time I used it (admittedly a couple of years ago
now) only one side was open, necessitating a long, indirect and
unnecessary walk through side streets to get to the station.

Still the same. I think the south entrance was blocked before various
roads in the area were closed off to make driving to the south
entrance even more tortuous than walking to the north.

I don't know why it was blocked in the first place, but it definitely
needs looking at again.

[For those who don't know, the station is equidistant between two road
bridges under the railway. The roads connecting them via the north
entrance to the station are neither straight nor adjacent to the railway.]

Colin McKenzie