Old August 12th 03, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CharlesPottins CharlesPottins is offline

Default Bus Conductors and Drivers (again).

Surprised to learn there are still rules, I thought deregulation had taken
effect. It may seem kindly of the driver to let people crowd on to the
gunwhales(sp?) in some circumstances, but is it wise?
Apart from safety considerations, it can be a damn nuisance trying to get
through a crowded gangway to get off at your stop. I used to regularly
experience this boarding a westbound single-deck bus opposite Westminster City
Hall, it would get crowded going by Victoria, and then it was really difficult
trying to get off by Ebury Bridge, especially if I was carrying shopping.
More recently taking a 112 from Ealing I found it difficult squeezing past
people to get off on the N.Circular. Incidentally, glad to see double deckers
introduced on the 297 route, which can be quite busy sometimes, especially in
the mornings.