Old August 12th 03, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Alan \(in Brussels\) Alan \(in Brussels\) is offline

Default Expensive Tramlink halt

In the message: ...
"John Rowland" wrote:

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in message

According to:

http://iccroydon.icnetwork.co.uk/new...siteid=5334 0

Roger Harding, general manager of TCL - the company which runs

Tramlink -

Mr Harding said: "It is all a question of practicalities of
providing a service which matches the present timetable.
That could easily mean us needing another tram."

"could easily mean us needing another tram"? You would think he would have
found out whether it does or not.

It sounds like he is saying "The new stop doesn't necessitate an extra

tram,
but we are trying to milk the developers for one anyway."

Indeed, and ISTM that the estimated cost of £6 million is way OTT.
In any case, I find the implication of this approach to be strange. The
rationale for adding a halt beside the new shopping centre is surely
that this will attract extra traffic, and thus extra revenue. So presumably
at least part of the cost of any action taken to increase capacity will be
offset by that extra revenue, but this is not mentioned.

I don't know if Tramlink's schedules are designed to ensure convenient
connections with National Rail services at the relevant termini, but (as
other posters have pointed out) there may be scope for modest
acceleration, even without eliminating all the single-track bottlenecks.

Regards,

Alan (in Brussels)