Old February 10th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Jackman David Jackman is offline

Default DLR City Airport extension

Tom Anderson wrote in
:

This is the thing that really gets my goat about the DLR - complete and
utter lack of any foresight. Yes, at the time it was built, the area
didn't have a lot of traffic, and a light railway with two-car trains
was quite adequate. However, it was obvious that this wasn't going to
be the case forever, or even for very long. ...

I agree, though the area has come along a very, very long way since the DLR
opened (remember Canary Wharf on day 1 - it had no buildings on it atall).

BUT building the DLR cheaply meant that it did get built and without the
DLR Docklands would have remained an isolated backwater.

Other transport proposals can learn from this.

David