Old February 10th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Oyster Capping announced by BBC

Ian F. wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

However, without more detail of the specific journeys (especially how
you get from Zone 3 to Central London), it is impossible to say whether
or not you would be better off.

I usually buy a Z1-4 off peak travelcard and travel into central London
using the tube, although sometimes I go overground to Victoria and take a
bus, or a tube from there - in Balham we have tube and overground and it's
usually quicker to go by train to Victoria than by tube to Victoria. I
travel into Z1, on average, twice a week. Other times, I might buy a Z2-6
off-peak travelcard and use it locally, sometimes to go to Croydon,
sometimes to go via Clapham Junction to Richmond or Kingston or elsewhere.
Other times, I might just use local buses. The majority of the travel is
off-peak, although occasionally I have to go into the West End early
morning.

If you could give me some advice, it would be great - I've been travelling
in London all my life (I'm 54), but the Oyster situation has me baffled!

Basically, once capping comes, in Oyster is good for everything apart
from National Rail.

If you plan to use NR as part of a day's travels, then Oyster is most
likely not for you unless it's a simple return Tube+rail trip where the
rail fare is cheaper than the price of the travelcard minus the Oyster
return price for the Tube.

So Oyster would be good if you were travelling around just on local
buses or used the Tube from Balham into London and any bus or Tube
services in London. But if you want to use overground rail into Victoria
or Clapham Junction then it's probably best to stick with paper Travelcards.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7