Old February 11th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Imperial College (was 02-28-2005 at Moorgate)

Dave Newt wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Some of us care deeply about commas, and are trying to work out
where this comma is supposed to go, or not go. How about an
explanation for the uninitiated?

It used to be called Imperial College, and was referred to as IC.
The domain was .ic.ac.uk.

In the rebranding, it was decided that the new name should be
Imperial College London and that the short version should be
Imperial. Use of .ic.ac.uk has been proscribed and the ICT
Department had fun trying to change all the domain servers to
.imperial.ac.uk.

However, this creates a false analogy with University College,
London, which has a comma in it and is commonly referred to as UCL.

On UCL's site www.ucl.ac.uk, they use UCL as the name almost
exclusively, even in the history ("175 years ago ... UCL was founded").
Where the name is given in full, I haven't seen one instance on their
site where the comma is included.

The Imperial branding people specified that it must not be called
ICL

Quite right too. Some of us have fond memories of a company called ICL,
1968-2002.

Thanks very much for the explanation.

--
Richard J.