Old February 11th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

Pete wrote:
I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

All hail Luton! It may need a short 5-minute free shuttle bus ride to
the station, but from plane to train it probably works out the same as
Stansted's integrated station as Stansted requires a much longer walk
through the terminal...

Once you are at Luton Airport Parkway, currently almost all Thameslink
trains call at West Hampstead and reach it within half an hour; at West
Hampstead there is a 5-minute walk between stations and then you're on
the Jubilee line and can be at Westminster station in 20 minutes.

The train from Luton gets to London quicker than the train from
Stansted, which is further away.

Train fare is about £12 or a bit more for a Travelcard; this is cheaper
than the train from Stansted. Coaches are also available from both
airports and I think they cost about the same; both will drop you off at
Victoria which is not far from Westminster (20 minute walk or 5 mins on
Tube or bus), but again the journey from Luton is faster as it is nearer.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7