Old February 12th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Robin May wrote:
Dave Newt wrote the following in:

snip

Blimey, that all sounds a bit complicated. I wonder if the LSE has such
rules, I'm certainly not aware of them.

Not sure, though I always wonder about the fact that the "...and
Political Science" is hardly ever mentioned, so there must be stuff in
their style guide.

To be honest, I suspect the dropping of ST&M was mainly to raise
the profile of the Business School who just spunked 25 mil up
Norman Foster on a new building.

Someone kill that man, he is responsible for the atrocity that is the
central spiral staircase in the LSE library.

Oh, I quite liked it, but then I was shown around it a few days before
it, and that was more for the purposes of "look at our new cool thing"
rather than actually trying to get any books.

He also designed the GLA
building which has a similar spiral staircase. Usually the purpose of a
staircase is for people to walk on it, but with the LSE one the main
purpose is so photos of it can be put in university publicity. I firmly
believe that the designer of these things has never tried to walk on
them.

Why is a spiral staircase so hard to walk up anyway? I don't remmeber
LSE's being particularly tricky?

(Though I do know from experience at York that having the main staircase
in the middle of the open building is utter crap for noise levels if you
are trying to work.)