Old February 12th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Solar Penguin Solar Penguin is offline

Default Future of CDRs and NR season tickets in TfL zones?

--- Solar Penguin said...

For example, the development of GPS systems means that it's possible
to calculate the straight-line, as-the-crow-flies distance between
stations, and use that as a basis for a point-to-point system. (This
way, we eliminate much of the complicated routing nonsense which makes
NR's present fares system so awkward. After all, from the customer's
POV it's only the start and end points that really matter, not the
places in between.)

Multiply that straight-line distance by a fixed pounds-per-mile rate,
and you get the base cost of the ticket. You can then add on various
fixed value premiums for premium services, e.g.

** travelling first class

** travelling by an express train instead of a stopping train

** even travelling by a train instead of a bus (assuming that this
could be the basis for tickets on all modes of transport)

Oops. I forgot to add that CDRs etc. can be treated as a fixed premium
added to the single fare at this point. Should've double checked
everything before I pressed Send. Sorry.

--

"Konstanza stopped, sighed, and leaned against a large black wireless.
You are standing in what others think of her." -- MegaHal