Old February 12th 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Mike is offline

Default [OT] 4x4 cars on London streets

Possibly off-topic but i see Christian Wolmar has written about a
different subject on his website this month:

http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/onl...bruary05.shtml

Online column :: February 2005
4x4 vehicles are just plain daft

There is a war rumbling on the city streets, between 4 x4 owners and the
rest of us. Driving a 4x4 in town is just plain daft. They are gas
guzzling monsters which are difficult to drive and park, and take up far
more space than conventional vehicles. And yet, one in seven new
vehicles in London is some kind of SUV or 4x4.

Over the past few months, a canny little campaign, the alliance against
urban 4x4s, led by a few activists in North London, has attracted
massive publicity with a series of clever stunts. The best has been
issuing mock parking tickets, which ressemble official ones but actually
set out the arguments against driving these ridiculous cars in towns.
For example, the one in Camden has the council logo but with the word
Carbon replacing the council’s name. It highlights the ‘poor vehicle
choice’ and directs people to a website to show how our descendants will
‘pay for our dependence on fossil fuels....................[snip]

Also found this website: http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk

Mike