Old February 13th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Future of CDRs and NR season tickets in TfL zones?

In message , Neil Williams
writes
And that, as I see it, is a serious fault with the way TfL, and much of
the rest of the UK's public transport, is operated.

A proper connectional public transport system (yes, one of those things
you don't see a lot of in the UK, not even in London) is made up of a
number of interlinked modes, and any one journey may use any or all of
those modes depending on the quickest or most practical route from
point A to point B.

As such, the fare from point A to point B (or over however many zones -
whether the system is zonal or not is irrelevant to the argument)
should be the same, for the use of any or all of those modes.

Although I have some sympathy with such a system, London is so large and
complex (and busy), that charging a supplement for Underground travel
(which is effectively what happens when compared to buses) is I feel
justified in return for the faster journey. (Hamburg has - or had -
something similar for its express buses).

Paris also has no bus-metro transfer beyond the sort of passes available
in London.

The actual *price* of those fares is a different matter, of course.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk