Old August 13th 03, 08:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Stewart Stewart is offline

Default Ways to Reduce Vandalism

"Nick" wrote:

Vandalism will sadly have to get a lot worse for serious action to be

taken.
But I believe action will be taken one day, and once again a largely
graffiti and vandalism-free railway will return.

I'm inclined to believe this, but I wonder what the 'tipping point' will

be
that will force the hand of the various railway stakeholders? I feel
vandalism couldn't get a lot worse 'south of the river', but I worry that
the thugs will turn to random (and endemic) attacks/muggings of passengers
and staff before any action is taken to restore order. What the 'answer'

is,
I haven't a clue.

Chris

I travel alot from London Northwards (Essex) and have found vandalism to be
no way near as bad on the trains as south of the river (Connex etc).

I have seen a ticket collector on a WAGN train getting loads of hassle from
some youths though, who had no tickets. They didn't pay up either.

I think muggings/attacks will increase, late at night I feel pretty unsafe
on trains. But what can be done ?