Old February 13th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Rupert Candy Rupert Candy is offline

Default Future of CDRs and NR season tickets in TfL zones?

Dave Arquati wrote:

[snip useful and clear analysis]

All that's left are day return journeys to London terminals, which

would
unfortunately be more expensive under this system. Single would be

£2.50
from a Zone 4 station, return would be £4.70 (capped to the price of

Travelcard).

If we take Crystal Palace as an example, a single to Victoria would

be
£3.10 now, or a return would be £3.60. On the plus side, you get

free
bus and tube travel "thrown in". I guess it all depends what

proportion
of day-returners arriving at London terminals don't use any other
transport during the day.

However, as a YP railcard holder I can get a CDR from West Dulwich to
Victoria for around £2. Since railcards don't have any effect on zonal
fares, a comparable journey via bus 3 and Brixton will end up costing
over twice this. I wonder if they've thought about what will happen to
railcards if they go zonal?

(Incidentally, I'm all in favour of a fully integrated Verkehrsverbund
type fare structure, but it is definitely going to hit us tubeless
South Londoners the hardest...)