Old February 14th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
gwr4090 gwr4090 is offline

Default Barking-Greenford?

In article ,
Barry Salter wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:31:02 +0000 (GMT), gwr4090
wrote:

Why would this be ? Sounds like a very good idea to me. It would
provide a much needed link between the GWML and the North london line.
Of course the service should really be extended north of Greenford to
South or West Rusilip to provide a connection with the Chiltern Line as
well, but that may require some significant new works, so I guess it is
rather unlikely.

Surely the only works that would be absolutely needed are the
reinstatement of the former GWR platforms (and associated station
building) at Greenford, given that there's a link from the branch to the
"joint line" both towards West Ruislip and towards Old Oak? [1]

I was thinking of a new platform or track slewing at Greenford (main
line). I think the remaining single line here is the former up fast line
so was not adjacent to a platform. In addition there is no access to the
down platform at South Ruislip from the Greenford direction. Also I am not
sure that the turn back facilities at West Ruislip would be adequate
without further works to avoid any interference with Chiltern services.

The Greenford area is due to be resignalled soon, with closure of Greenford East box, so I guess this is the appropriate time for any track alterations.

David