Old February 14th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default South Kensington and the Museums

wrote:
Does anyone know why most of the museums in South Kensington close at
some time between 1750 and 1800?

Particularly this week (half term) this causes tremendous pressure on
the tube station (with South Ken being closed for a period this
evening). Wouldn't it be advantageous to stagger the closing and / or
not close at 6 when many people leave work and a substatial part of a
university finishes lectures?

The reverse question is valid too - I often see *dozens* of potential
visitors stuck outside the museums at 9am trying to work out how to get
in, not realising that they don't open until 10am (and if they want a
coffee in the meantime, they have to walk all the way back towards the
station again too).

Presumably, it's all down to the amount of money the museums have (and,
since they are free now, this must be a bigger issue than ever?), but
your suggestion is spot-on - if ever I left work 20 mins late, at ten to
six, it was a nightmare getting down to the station.