Old February 14th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ross Ross is offline

Default Future of CDRs and NR season tickets in TfL zones?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:18:50 GMT, Richard J. wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:
Ross wrote:

[snippage]
I've used both. Mobilis is useful for one-day visits, but I doubt
that most visitors to Paris are only there for one day, so for most
visitors purposes Paris Visite is probably more useful.

For most visitors, the Carnet is more useful: 10 Metro/Bus tickets for
EUR 10.50, that's about 73p each.

Indeed.

I was doing a fair amount of back-and-forwarding when I went, and I
actually bought a Visite (from E* at Waterloo) simply because it was
easier at the time.

[...]
The card they *don't* tell the tourists about is the Carte Orange in
its weekly form.

Granted the Carte Orange is only valid from Monday to Sunday (and
you need a photo for the ID card), but the zone 1-5 Carte Orange costs
EUR 30,20 against EUR 45,70 for a 5-day zone 1-5 Paris Visite.

A 3-day 1-5 Visite costs EUR 37,35, so as the weekly Carte Orange is
sold until Wednesday, a 3-day midweek visitor would be better off
buying the Carte Orange!

... if arriving by air to CDG.

Or if staying outside Central Paris, although I accept that most
tourists will be staying centrally.

But most Eurostar tourists will need
only Zones 1-2, which is EUR 15.40 for a weekly Carte Orange or EUR
15.90 for 3 Mobilis 1-day tickets.

Plus, presumably, an excess of some sort for the obligatory visit to
Versailles. ;-)

--
Ross, a.k.a.
Prof. E. Scrooge, CT, 153 & bar, Doctor of Cynicism (U. Life)