Old February 15th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dan Gravell Dan Gravell is offline

Default [OT] 4x4 cars on London streets

Roland Perry wrote:
The number of people in the car is irrelevant. Although one could easily
make a case that the people who have had bad experiences of public
transport are much more likely to be single travellers who therefore end
up one-per-car.

It's indicative of the unsuitability of private motor vehicles for urban
environments, or specifically London. The amount of space occupied by a
small number of travellers is discussed in another branch of this thread.

Being stranded, missing meetings, failure of public transport to deliver
on its timetable...

Given that the worst, most unreliable and slowest form of public
transport in London, the bus, is bound by exactly the same
infrastructure as the car (in fact, slightly better given bus lanes)
quite how so many people would come to the conclusion that their car is
better despite the roads being full to bursting already is beyond me.
Perhaps they don't care for logic. Perhaps they all have complex
journeys that would take four bus rides. Perhaps they don't give a toss
about other people using buses who do have a brain cell. I dunno. But
what I do know is that I still don't understand how people come to the
solution of the car, given that it's clearly no better anyway.

Yes, there are a lot of people in the suburbs who drive to the shops and
back. I'm sure they weren't counted in the survey, which was about long
distance commuting to jobs in Central London.

The thing is that a lot of what I perceive isn't in central London. The
congestion charge thankfully go rid of a lot of that. What I see is car
usage in the suburbs, zones 2-3 etc, where the congestion charge should
be extended to.

People actually drive long distances into central London?