Old February 15th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dan Gravell Dan Gravell is offline

Default [OT] 4x4 cars on London streets

Roland Perry wrote:
It's true. When you look at reliable door-to-door times, the car wins.

Source? Or is this a Jeremy Clarkson style "a car can beat a jet
fighter, if I have a five month headstart and the jet has no wings" claim?

Not everyone's lifestyle is the same. As an extreme example, what would
you think if the PM was half an hour late for his questions in the House
of Commons because of problems on the Northern Line? And is paying him
about £100 an hour to sit on a tube train better than having him in a
car and reading his briefing papers in peace?

Somewhere between the PM and "do you want fries with that" is a
crossover line. It seems to be 90:10. I suggest you'd have a very
difficult time making it 95:5, and would be better employed making sure
it didn't degrade to 85:15.

But what about when the actions of the ten effect the PT QoS and QoL for
the ninety? Because of the scalability (that word again) the system
would work better if we got it to 95:5. The PM is hardly representative
or comparable to "business men". I don't know what you mean by "business
man" but I'm guessing there's too many of them to cater for aI'm afraid,
and frankly they're not important enough to concede to (unlike the PM).

Door to door? There's parking space outside every door in London now?
Central London?

Close enough for most of the purposes we are discussing. And an awful
lot of the cars in *central* London have drivers.

I really do not believe this. How many people work in the City? How many
people park there? I'd be surprised if the figure is as much as 10%.