Old February 15th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Goodland Peter Goodland is offline

Default Costly Projects

"Angus Bryant" wrote in message
Dave Liney wrote:

Who exactly keeps an eye on how much of our public money is
squandered by the railways, assuming that this isn't going to be
private money. I am used to hearing about stonking amounts of money
spent on railway projects but now we have the £400m ticket hall.

"One of London's mainline train stations is to be given a £400m
revamp.
The Department of Transport is providing the funding for a new ticket
hall at King's Cross Station"

I thought the Northern Ticket Hall (which is what the article is
talking about) was for Kings Cross St Pancras underground station
rather than the National Rail station.

It is the Northern Ticket Hall. Glad someone's found the money to get it
done with the rest of the CTRL works (although I don't know why its costs
spiralled quite so much and had to be halted - anyone else know?).

There are also longer-term plans to rebuild the suburban platforms at
Kings
Cross and move the mainline station ticket hall to where the suburban
platform entrance is now (and destroy the 1970's extension blocking the
front of the original Cubitt building). It'd be nearer the then-completed
St Pancras and would also feed into the new Northern (tube) ticket hall.
Details at:

http://www.argentkingscross.com/, particularly:

The Project/Framework for Regeneration/Southern Hub
http://www.argentkingscross.com/live.../figure_27.pdf

Angus

This scheme is for both the Northern Ticket hall for the underground station
and for a new ticket hall for the main line station.

See

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Documen...nouncement.doc

(sorry, it's a word document)

Peter.