Old February 15th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
The InterCity The InterCity is offline

Default SET 376 - A big disappointment

Rich Mallard wrote:
I'm not so sure about that though - I use Bexley station on the

Dartford
line via Sidcup and very much prefer a 375/9 over a 376. I think the

376
would probably be preferred by users of Hither Green, Lewisham,

Blackheath,
Deptford, Greenwich etc, but I reckon when you get out to places such

as
Abbey Wood, Welling, Sidcup and beyond, people don't want to slum it

in
uncomfortable urban stock, particularly off-peak.

However, an operator of the trains is not simply going to terminate a
Class 376 at those locations for the sake of changing the type of unit.

Of course, there is the alternative of embarking on a train at either
Farningham Road or Swanley, where you will be able to use Class 375s
and the occasional 4 Vep. The line speed is much greater, with fewer
stops, but from my experience, it is just as crowded during the peak as
the North Kent Lines are. That is not to say that Class 375s do not
traverse our native North Kent routes: it was only yesterday that I saw
one speed through Swanscombe. However, such movements are empty stock
to Slade Green Depot.

Having said all that, there's still no excuse for making the 376

seats so
damn uncomfortable, that's just plain inexcusable. If there's gonna

be less
seating, at least make it comfortable!

I am not fond of the lack of comfortable seating either, but our lines
have far more scheduled stops than the route to Sevenoaks (Tubs Hill)
and that via Swanley. It would seem uneconomical to be using what is
general acknowledged as 'main line' stock on our lines. If I am correct
in what I remember, then the Class 375/9 is an 'outer suburban' breed,
whereas the Class 376 is 'inner suburban'. The latter describes the
North Kent network up to at least Dartford. Plus, the Class 465/466
units still constitute the bulk of the off-peak diagrams, thus at least
we still have a comparatively more comfortable alternative. A few
Doncaster-refurbished Class 465s may even creep onto our lines as a
temporary measure, thus we have some hope.

We seem to have two unfortunate extremes - the 376 designed for

ultra-peak
wedged workings, and the 2x2 375 which seems to be designed for

fairly long
distance off-peak journeys. So perhaps the 375/9 is the happy medium

after
all :-)

London to Dartford = Inner suburban. Thus, that equals Class 376.
London to Sevenoaks & Tonbridge = Outer suburban. This equates to the
modest Class 375/9.
London to Dover = Long distance. Therefore, a Class 375, not including
the 375/9 derivative.

If Crossrail finally takes off, you will have the option of traversing
the Dartford Loop (using the existing Sidcup service via Slade Green
and Erith), and embarking on Crossrail stock at Abbey Wood. You will
have to hope these trains are more comfortable!

Just to add, it is good to see Bexley station upholding the Network
SouthEast tradition of red lamp posts!