Old February 15th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default SET 376 - A big disappointment

The InterCity wrote:

I can understand your point concerning a claustrophobic atmosphere when
being seated: the seat backs are indeed high. However, when standing in
the vestibule area and walking down the carriages, there appeared to be
a wealth of space around me, somewhat more pleasant than the
Networkers.

High seat backs are part of the ATOC requirements for
crashworthiness

http://217.33.37.196/docushare/dsweb...4/Avst9001.pdf

6.2 Transverse seats
Transverse seats shall be high backed. The top of the seat shall
be at least 25 mm above the level of the centre of gravity of the
head of a 95th percentile male when seated on a compressed seat
cushion. The seat back shall be continuous to provide support for
the heads of a 5th percentile female to 95th percentile male. The
support shall be sufficiently close to the head of a normally
seated person to prevent unacceptable rotation of the head.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.