Old February 15th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default [OT] 4x4 cars on London streets

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:04:38 on Tue, 15 Feb
2005, Dave Arquati remarked:

One also has to bear in mind *road space* rather than the space
physically occupied by the car. As a typical 4x4 is quite a bit
taller than a "normal" car, it reduces visibility for the car
behind it, so the car behind must keep more distance in order to
retain visibility.

And you've seen this happening in practice?

From personal experience outside London. I can't see why it would be
any different in London, and I know that one major claim used against
4x4s is that they make life more difficult for other motorists.

So you'd ban vans and buses from Central London on the same principle?

Of course not. Vans and buses are necessary; in many cases, 4x4s are
not. Besides, I was just quoting one of the many arguments floated
against their use in the city.

I never even suggested banning 4x4s from central London. There are other
measures which could be taken to reduce their use.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7