Old February 16th 05, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default [OT] 4x4 cars on London streets

In message , at 00:15:03
on Wed, 16 Feb 2005, d remarked:

Roland Perry wrote:
Something like 90% of journeys in London are by public transport, so the
remainder who are using their car have obviously got a very good reason.
Often (amongst those I've asked) it's because they have had very bad
experiences with public transport in the past, and feel they need the
extra flexibility that a car provides.

That statistic does not really mean a great deal though; the fact that the
public transport system can support that figure is because it is more
scalable.

Most of the commuter rail in and out of London is at bursting point, and
has nowhere to scale *to*. It is at maximum capacity.

The issue is that some individuals still appear to consider the private
motor vehicle (read: car), which is not scalable or anywhere near it, a
good way to get around London. A feel your statistic proves my point.

Only 10%, which means they are the real persistent people who must have a
*very* good reason.

Some do, I'm sure, but have you considered some are selfish?

Some people would say you were selfish to buy your vegetables at the
supermarket, rather than spending several hours a week digging an
allotment. People's standards vary.

I know a
few... That's another, very realistic reason, surely. If they had a bad
episode when they couldn't get a seat between Leicester Square and Covent
Garden, then that's hardly a good excuse to put another vehicle on the
crowded streets of London. I've had some pretty awful experiences on public
transport, but they're very rare, and I've had more in private transport.

I had more in mind the people who travel 50 miles in from their home
town, and had a bad experience (or two) with the railways. I went back
to driving to work (outside the London area) after Hatfield, for
example, when one day (not the first day after) it took me three hours
to get to work (instead of one).

As an aside, where did you get that figure from? I've been looking for a
good stats site for a while.

From a LUL (or similar) survey done 5-8 years ago. I've no immediate
reference.

So it's bang up to date! Fantastic! Oh, I think you mis-spelled "my ass".
joking

I don't think that kind of figure varies much from year to year. We'd
have noticed if cars in Central London had doubled (80% by PT, 20% by
car) or halved (95% by PT, 5% by car) from the underlying 90% by PT, 10%
by car.