Old February 16th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Jim Brittin Jim Brittin is offline

Default Future of CDRs and NR season tickets in TfL zones?

In article ,
says...
In message
Michael Parry wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
I acknowledged this point but if you have any memory of the Tube prior
to zonal fares and I just about do then the old set up had arrays of
free standing single fare machine with huge signs above them saying
which stations for that fare.

Are there really no pictures of the old machines anywhere on the web?
A Google and a look at
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk didn't turn up any.

IIRC, they had the fare in huge print and the stations served by that
fare on the sloping glass top.

That's how I remember them, the fare was in red and the machine itself was
painted blue. Fare bands were in increments of 3d (old pence). IIRC only
singles were available, no returns.

The increments were whatever applied at the time, probably was 3d at the
time of decimalisation.

Penny increments show in the LT Museum's 1948 photo.

View at http://makeashorterlink.com/?N3F63287A

Vaguely remember seeing an odd machine somewhere that wasn't just an
ordinary single, may have been a child single.