Old February 16th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Lawrence Peter Lawrence is offline

Default Costly Projects

On 15 Feb 2005 01:57:58 -0800, wrote:

Who exactly keeps an eye on how much of our public money is squandered
by the railways, assuming that this isn't going to be private money.
I am used to hearing about stonking amounts of money spent on railway
projects but now we have the =A3400m ticket hall.

"One of London's mainline train stations is to be given a =A3400m
revamp.
The Department of Transport is providing the funding for a new ticket
hall at King's Cross Station"

Presumably the £400m also covers the cost of the petrol-station-like
awning which is to replace the present main line concourse, judging by
the picture provided. It may also pay for a new, larger, concourse
but it is not clear to me where it can be fitted in, if there is to
be any space left for the trains. (The Guardian today also has an
article but it is no clearer - obviously the press release was
accompanied only by an artists impression and not supported by a site
visit!)
--
Peter Lawrence