Old February 17th 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Colin Colin is offline

Default IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

It's gone down like a lead balloon with the councils in north-west Kent,
south-east Essex, south Hertfordshire, etc.

It has? I'm slightly surprised because if this doesn't happen, TfL may
well encroach on their area anyway with the expanded "London Rail" area
(and they'll have even less control I would have thought...) Better to
have a Greater South East authority in control of rail rather than the
central-London dominated TfL, from their PoV surely?

It probably makes little difference for the rail network, as it is highly
centred on London, with the minor exceptions of such animals as Gatwick -
Tonbridge, Ashford - Hastings etc.

Indeed. London is the train journey destination / starting point for the
majority of people over a large area of the south east.

TfL have suggested a 'London Rail' area partly based upon the current 'Inner
Suburban' services, and data that shows (on a ward-by-ward basis) the number
of people who commute to London every day for work reasons.

It is bigger than London, but certainly not as big as NSE.

See Page 9 in this presentation:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/downloads...-Conf-2004.pdf

Colin