Old February 18th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
826 826 is offline

Default IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

This idea will certainly go down like a lead balloon with the John
Redwood's of this World but I believe London could be treated in a
similar fashion to another City which I've just returned from and found
a lot to be impressed with public transport wise. This City wielding
huge economic power over a large swathe of the country and having a
transport infrastructure that was short of the capacity needed to cope
with it's growth and lacked the integration required to encourage the
use of public transport. This is now being addressed by by Central
Government paying for 50% of the capital outlay with the EEC supplying
the other 50%, new buses, trams and trains along with the lines and bus
lanes to facilitate them. The projects all carry the National Flag and
the EEC Stars Symbol alongside each other and a lot of the buses and
rolling stock as well.
Very cheap park and ride schemes ("Speed Parks" they call them to
attract the Jeremy Clarksons) 5 Euros per vehicle plus up to 6
occupants per vehicle to continue in by train or bus. The whole
caboodle meant that I could get from one end of the city to the other
across the suburbs with very little effort and using one day ticket.
The shops and business centres are booming and talking to people living
there it was obvious that they have a great deal of pride in the
network. The surrounding counties recognise this since people choose to
live there and commute into work. The economic hinterland therefore
becomes more prosperous if the central area is better managed transport
wise.
I'm sure some here will know the City. (Clue, Guiness)