Old February 19th 05, 05:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
gwr4090 gwr4090 is offline

Default Denham Golf Club Parkway (was Crossrail and the GW link line)

In article ,
Jack Taylor wrote:

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...

How good is road access from the M25 corridor to Denham? If it's no
good or regularly jammed, then siting the parking lot at Denham Golf
Club would probably be a poor move.

Actually I was getting my geography a bit confused there, so disregard
the comments abount Denham itself! DGC is actually south of the M25,
which runs between DGC and GX (for some reason I was having a mental
aberration and thinking that it was between Denham and DGC). There is,
however, a considerable amount of spare land in the area. DGC actually
lies very close to the A40/A413 junction and just up the M25 from
junction 1a, the M25/M40 interchange, so a spur from that junction ought
to be possible, assuming that the land can be acquired. A DGC Parkway
would not necesssarily have to be exactly on the existing site, it could
move further from the Golf Club and closer to the M25 to facilitate a
Parkway-style station, serving traffic from the M25, M40, A40 and A413,
if properly planned.

The record for previous initiatives of this kind is not very encouraging.
There were similar proposals many years ago for a park and ride at Iver on
the GWML which is practically adjacent to the M25 and has lots of unused
land adjacent to the station. I believe the DfT objected because it would
require a new junction on the M25, and it would also generate more traffic
on nearby motorways rather than relieving them.

David