Old February 19th 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Barking-Greenford?

"Martin Edwards" wrote in message

Can anyone back me up on this? When I first came to Birmingham in 1972,
I am sure the journey from Watford Junction took about 1hr 20 mins. Now
this is being touted as a target speed for the far future.

In the 1971-72 imetable fast trains from atfrod Junction to Birmingham New
Street took 1h17m, with one stop at Coventry. They now take 1h16m, with two
stops, Coventry and Birmingham International, and there is prospect of some
further acceleration. However, in 1971-72, fast trains from Watford Junction
to Birmingham only ran in the morning peak - last one was 1002. After this
you'd have had to travel on the much slower local (now Silverlink) service.
Now they're hourly all day.

Peter