Old February 19th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

Tony Polson wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Journeys have two ends; one end is frequently in central London. How
many journeys start or finish at Victoria versus at Maidstone, or High
Wycombe, or Hatfield? Even if a rail authority proportionally
represented the origins and destinations of all journeys on the South
East rail network, almost half the "seats" would be occupied by
representation of central London; probably over half would be
representatives from inside the GLA, i.e. TfL.

No doubt you live in London, as well as work there. I don't doubt
your sincerity. Neither do I doubt your self-interest, however.

As someone who lives outside London, used to commute daily over a
period of some years, and now still travels into London regularly, I
have a different view. I fully understand your view, I just don't
happen to agree with it.

I see the need for balance between the interests of people living in
London and those outside London who commute, whereas you want the
interests of Londoners to dominate. I am not asking for the views of
commuters from outside London to dominate, merely for them to be
included in a balanced overview.

Perhaps you should make just a tiny bit more effort to understand
others' views, especially those of people whose personal circumstances
differ from your own.

I think you've completely misunderstood my intentions. I never said or
believed that TfL should take over all south eastern rail services!! I
believe that TfL should exercise control over inner surburban services
lying wholly or almost wholly within its remit, such as services to
Watford, Dartford, Chingford, Croydon, Orpington/Sevenoaks, Hampton
Court etc. I do *not* believe that TfL should be given control over
services to Ashford, Cambridge or Southampton for example, as they're a
completely different kettle of fish, and *I understand that*.

You seem to be getting the impression that I'm more self-interested than
I really am. If I were completely self-interested, I wouldn't give a
toss about inner surburban services as I rarely use them.

I was merely being sceptical and playing devil's advocate with regard to
the accountability of a Greater South East rail body mentioned to start
off with. Theoretically, the best representative body for rail services
would be the DfT, controlled by central government to whom we elect
representatives. And look who's taking over control of rail services
shortly!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7