Old February 19th 05, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Speed Camera Avoidance

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
redtube wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 19 Feb 2005:

Reason? to catch the motorists out,
thats what.

Yeah, or perfectly good roads into Brighton, quite safe at 40 mph,
suddenly turning into 30 mph without even telling you until you get
flashed & penalty points (this one's a very sore point in our family!).

Presumably there must be 30 signs to make the speed limit enforceable, but
they may not be very obvious.

I'd like to see much greater use of 300, 200, 100-yard countdown markers in
advance of speed limits, especially where the change of speed limit is 20 or
more mph - a sort of "Morpeth rules" for cars. With advance warning of
limits (especially where the sign is round a corner or hidden by a hedge
until you're very close) you can plan ahead and simply lift off the power to
slow down gently rather than having to brake - I always try to slow down by
coming off the power if I can, but that's the advanced driver in me ;-)