Old August 14th 03, 07:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jeff Mowatt Jeff Mowatt is offline

Default Disabled parking

Does anyone know if there's a consistent law across all boroughs for
disabled spaces in residential roads? I've noticed in Sutton for example
they have a sign indicating clearly that they are for the use of any orange
badge holder.

Nearer home in Wandsworth and Lambeth I noticed a more proprietorial
attitude, spaces are created and used exclusively by the disabled homeowner.
Ultimately the disabled person then moves home and the space remains to be
used by the next occupant, disabled or otherwise.

The reason I ask is that a housebound elderly woman I know in Lambeth
can't get access to the space near her home as it's been taken up
permanently by the far from disabled resident of the nearest property. A
council chap came round the other day and tried to have words but had to
retreat under threat of violence.

These spaces seem a pretty good idea to me if they are used with
consideration but if as seems often the case,. they aren't, should the
council remove them once the disabled resident who originally requested them
moves on?

Jeff Mowatt