Old February 20th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Speed Camera Avoidance

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Peter Sumner wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 20 Feb 2005:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:19:06 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Yeah, or perfectly good roads into Brighton, quite safe at 40 mph,
suddenly turning into 30 mph without even telling you until you get
flashed & penalty points (this one's a very sore point in our family!).

Presumably there must be 30 signs to make the speed limit enforceable,
but
they may not be very obvious.

No the speed limit on roads with streetlights is 30mph unless there
are signs to indicate otherwise, I'd expect advanced drivers to know
that :-}

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103

In this particular case, there *had* been 40 mph signs.... which petered
out, and as far as I am aware (and, of course, we might have just missed
it) there wasn't a large sign warning one that we were entering a 30 mph
zone - first we realised was when the cameras flashed.....

Very unfair. Being caught doing 40 when you knew the limit was 30 is fair
enough (unless the 30 limit is absurd for the degree of hazards on the road,
but that's another story). But being caught when you didn't see an explicit
sign (and preferably repeaters) smacks of a piggy-bank speed-camera :-(