Old February 20th 05, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Speed Camera Avoidance

In message , at 18:51:22 on
Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Peter Sumner
remarked:

I don't see that anyone is saying the Highway Code is infallible, merely
that is is the first document that is referred to by the general public when
clarification of the rules is needed.

Peter appears to be claiming that *all* roads with streetlights are
30mph (unless otherwise marked), because it says so in the HC. The HC is
misleading, for the reasons I've already given.

No I'm not saying that, nor that the Highway Code is infallible. The
code refers you to the relevant law for definitions specifically the
Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, which says that the road is
restricted if it is illuminated by lamps not more than 200 yards apart
(Its not on line as far as I can tell).

Phew! We agree. Sorry if your earlier posting led me to believe
otherwise.