Old February 21st 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Commuting time map

Richard Dixon wrote
[...]
I was commenting with a colleague recently how she (living in

Sevenoaks)
takes a similar amount of time as me (in Raynes Park) to get into

work
(we're based in Monument).

It made me wonder if anyone has re-designed a London travel map in

terms of
time frame of reference - i.e. shortest time taken to get to a major

London
station (e.g. Waterloo, Victoria, London Bridge, Liverpool Street

etc.)
from around the south-east?

Just interested from a commuting viewpoint.

I think it can't be done on a flat map without rearranging the order of
stations on each line.

Thus your Raynes Park (23' am peak) will have to be shown as further
out than Surbiton (18') as will Wimbledon (19').

Commuters from West Byfleet were complaining that with the new
timetable they had only stopping trains in the morning peak (40') but
they do have a fast return service (26'). So West Byfleet must be shown
as further out than Wokng (26' & 23') and possibly as far out as
Farnborough (36' & 39').

Best of luck to anyone trying to generate such a map.

--
Mike D