Old August 14th 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ed Crowley Ed Crowley is offline

Default Northern Line - again!

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Ed Crowley
writes
I wonder if breaking the Northern line up into smaller sections would

help
simplify things. For example just running the following services; Morden

High Barnet via the City and Kennington to Edgware via Charing Cross (I
believe the trains can easily loop and Kennington on the Charing Cross
branch, correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes, there's a loop on the Charing Cross branch, which is why you often
see K via CX trains but rarely K via Bank ones.

But if you split the line up like that then you'll get a *lot* of
passengers changing at Camden Town and Kennington. The stations probably
aren't up to handing the relevant passenger loads in the peak. It
*might* be possible to fix the former when they completely rebuild it,
but even so it'll be unpopular with the people who now have a change
added to their daily commute.

The main problem with the Northern line (from my POV) is that after having
one train every 1 or 2 minutes, you get a gap of 8 minutes which leads to
overcrowding. If splitting up the line could mean a train every 2 minutes
(not this 2-8 minutes nonsense), I think it would be popular.