Old February 28th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Peak bus fares sneak in unannounced

David Jackman wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote in :

How would you price and introduce a multi-modal through single fare on
the London system, bearing in mind that it lacks capacity on the Tube
but has it to spare on the buses?

How about introducing the concept of a two hour journey limit, during which
which your ticket is valid for unlimited boarding? It would be priced at
the most expensive part of the journey (so 80p if you only used the bus
after 9:30, £3.50 if you included a tube journey(s) spanning Z1-6). 80p is
probably a bit cheap for this so I would suggest 120p as a more reasonable
figure.

Ouch. Personally, I'd rather pay 80p per bus journey and fork out £1.60
for the low number of times I need to change buses, rather than £1.20
all the time. £1.20 is getting too close to the Tube fare of £1.70 (Z1)
to make the bus significantly more attractive than the Tube for a Z1
journey, so you might see an undesirable modal shift from bus to Tube.

I'd prefer to see a discount for through bus+Tube journeys, which I
believe TfL are considering for the future.

Incidentally we had a thread on this a few weeks ago.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7