Old August 14th 03, 01:24 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Box Junction Penalty

"Stimpy" wrote in message

"Robin Cox" wrote in message
"Stimpy" wrote in message

"Richard J." wrote in message

In what way does a box junction have the same status as a Stop

sign?
You
don't have to stop *before* crossing them, and stopping *on*

them is
allowed
if you are waiting to turn right across oncoming traffic.

Is it? IWUTI that your exit had to be clear *before* venturing

into
the box

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml

=====
Highway Code rule 150:

You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear.

However, you may
enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only

stopped from doing
so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.

Cooo... you live and learn :-)

I didn't know about the exemption when you want to turn right either.

Seeing the above Highway Code URL has reminded me of the rule about turning
into a road where pedestrians are crossing. Notice that it says "if they are
already crossing". As a cyclist and a driver, I've seen a lot of pedestrians
treating sideroads as if they were zebra crossings - ie as if they have the
right to hold traffic up indefinitely, rather than waiting until the road is
clear before crossing :-( As a pedestrian, I wouldn't dream of starting to
cross a road (except on a zebra crossing or a pelican crossing) unless it
was safe to do so.