Old March 2nd 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default SWT improves punctuality to 90%

James wrote:
Clive Coleman wrote in message
In message , James
writes
Worse still, I've been on trains which have sat around for a
minute and a half at Earlsfield. Not long ago, half the trains
wouldn't even have stopped there.

I get a mini-bus an hour if I'm lucky, yet you moan.

The dynamics of an urban railway are very different to that of
running a transport service in the boondocks. The problem is that
SWT are forced to try and operate like a country railway within
the urban section. They should be allowed, like LUL, to run a
metro service with 15-20 second stops and simply getting on with
it. Otherwise, they will deserve a reputation for being slow.

Dwell times of 15-20 seconds are probably not achievable with only 2
doors per car. I'm not sure what you mean by "simply getting on with
it". Do you mean running without a timetable? That would cause chaos
at Waterloo! In any case, SWT's services aren't frequent enough to
abolish the public timetable, and if you publish one, passengers will
expect you to keep to it.
--
Richard J.