Old March 3rd 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Automatic ticket machine, 1921

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"Tristán White" wrote in message
Browsing through the excellent photographs on
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/

However, there's one that has flummoxed me:
http://snipurl.com/autotick

Errrm, what's "automatic ticket machine"y about that? :-))

Are they referring to one of those devices that you sometimes see (or used
to see) in cinemas which consists of a flat metal plate with slots in it

and
corresponding series of buttons alongside that the operator presses to
dispense a ticket from the right roll. In the photo I can just make out a
series of buttons in front of the operator, to the right of his hand.

OK, so it's not very automatic, but it's all that I can think of after
seeing the photo.

Yes, it looks like one. In the cinema world they're called 'Automaticket'
machines, and were an industry standard item for many decades. I work in a
cinema which still uses one.

Andrew