Old March 8th 05, 12:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
burkey burkey is offline

Default Tories call for better transport links in town

From Watford Observer

Tories call for better transport links in town

CONSERVATIVES Steven Norris and Ali Miraj have called for better
transport links in Watford which would give commuters a real option of
leaving their cars at home.

Steven Norris, the former transport minster and Conservative mayoral
candidate for London last year, addressed the Watford Chamber of
Commerce last Thursday on the issue of transport in the 21st Century.

He spoke to an audience of more than 80 representatives from local
businesses at Moor Park Mansion about how new approaches are needed to
make commuters drive their cars less.

He emphasised that anti-car policies are a waste of time and behaviour
has to be changed through long-term investment in the transport
infrastructure. When asked about his views on easing congestion in
Watford, he pointed out that half of all car journeys are under a mile
long.

He suggested better use of cycle lanes where they are integrated with
other forms of transport, which would encourage people to switch from
their cars.

Ali Miraj, the Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Watford, echoed
his views, saying he would also like to see a more integrated transport
system in Watford, where commuters returning from London would have a
bus waiting to pick them up to complete their journey.

He welcomed the abolition of the green route northbound on St Albans
Road to the traffic lights by Homebase, as it will ease congestion on a
key route out of the town centre - but said more needs to be done solve
rush-hour gridlock in Watford.

He said: "There are real issues about transport and parking in the
town, with traffic at peak times being horrendous. We desperately need
to improve our transport infrastructure.

"If elected I will encourage the local council, in conjunction with all
relevant parties, to produce a comprehensive policy to manage traffic
flow in the town. I will also continue to pressure to see that the
Croxley Rail link is finally delivered, which will provide benefits to
the town."

4:29pm Monday 7th March 2005
John Burke
WRUG